Alcohol harm reduction campaign launched in East London
Partnership in Action
EAST LONDON, August (ANA) – Non-profit organisation, Association for alcohol responsibility and education (AWARE), committed R20 million to its partnerships with South Africa’s Provincial Liquor Boards to come closer to achieving their vision of alcohol harm reduction.
The organisation was launching its national campaign with the Eastern Liquor Board in East London on Tuesday.
Some of the dignitaries present included the Liquor Boards CEO Khanyile Maneli and the Eastern Cape’s newly appointed Economic Development member of the executive council (MEC) Oscar Mabuyane.
According to the Organisation’s CEO Ingrid Louw, out of the R20 million national budget, R6 million had been committed to the Eastern Cape for harm reduction projects including underage drinking.
“As such, we need to invest in programmes with a lasting impact. Programmes that are aimed at changing behaviours and attitudes in order to promote responsible trading and encourage responsible drinking. Our message is unequivocal, let’s educate our communities about underage drinking, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, binge drinking, drink driving and walking,” said Louw.
Louw said the organisation was currently piloting programmes on underage drinking and responsible trade facilitation.
“We have key focus areas and piloting programmes in those areas, I’m hoping that when we see the baseline data coming out then we will know what works and what doesn’t. The idea about piloting is having a model that works, over the next few weeks we will be launching in Mpumalanga, Free State and Gauteng.”
Mabuyane said the partnership would help to curb the alcohol problem and should mobilise critical stakeholders in the industry for the development of enterprises.
“What is key is to make people aware that the alcohol issue can ruin their lives if done irresponsibly, he added.
-African News Agency (ANA)